|Primed black, to allow for easier shading of model recesses|
Red Layer 1 : 3 drops Gory Red, 1 drop SS Camo Black Brown, 1 drop waterI used a fairly typical red scheme for this one, as I didn't want to go too crazy with blends or layers. This brown is a tint I generally use for darkening reds without bringing it all the way to black; the brown gives it a warmer tone, and ties it in with the brown tones I'll be using for the scales.
Red Layer 2: 3 drops Vallejo Red, 1 drop Vallejo Bloody Red, 1 drop waterThe gory red tends to go a bit maroon on me, so after the first layer I swapped up to Vallejo Red, from their Model Color line. The scales were simple layering, but I started adding texture work here to some areas that I thought needed it, particularly around the face and wing "fingers".
Red Layer 3: 2 Vallejo Bloody Red, 2 Vallejo Hot Orange, 1 WaterThis layer took the longest, as it will be the mid-tone for the model. I attempted to cover about half of each scale with this layer; more for scales facing up, and less for scales facing down. The orange really starts to make the model pop out.
Red Layer 4: 2 Vallejo Hot Orange, 1 Vallejo Gold Yellow, 1 waterThe fourth layer dropped opacity, so that transitions between it and the layers below would be a bit cleaner. There are two ways to highlight red - one is to use bone white and white (as I did in my Angrislaug model), and the other is to use oranges and yellows. The latter makes for a much warmer model, which is what I was going for here.
Red Layer 5: 2 Vallejo Hot orange, 1 Vallejo Gold Yellow, 2 Vallejo Moon yellow, 2 waterI hesitate to call this the final layer, because I may do one more on top of it after the rest of the model is painted. Right now, the reds look very vibrant, but it's only because it's up against a solid black.
Dark Brown Layer 1 - 1 Vallejo SS Camo Black Brown, 1 Vallejo Red, 2 Vallejo Dark Fleshtone, 1 waterWith the camouflage theme I have in mind, the bottoms of his wings will be painted another color to break up the outline while in flight. As a result, the portions of the wings I was painting dark brown look odd, as I'm leaving between a third and half of each wing membrane black. I also did the top portions of the wing arms, with the idea that the camouflage pattern would extend onto the scales.
The red is added to this tone for the same reason that the SS Camo Black Brown was added to the red - it blends the two colors closer together and makes the color scheme more cohesive. I also wanted the wings to be tinted slightly red, so I would continue adding red for a few more layers.
Dark Brown Layer 2 - 3 Vallejo Dark Fleshtone, 3 Vallejo Bestial Brown, 1 Vallejo Red, 2 waterFor the second layer, the red gets significantly diminshed (6:1 with brown tones). This gives it a slight red tint, but keeps the shade distinct from the red layers.
Dark brown layer 3: 2 Vallejo Bestial Brown, 3 Vallejo Cobra Leather, 1 Vallejo Red, 2 water
For this one, I chose to use elf flesh instead of going straight to bone white, because I wanted to have bone white as my ultimate highlight shade. This gives me an extra intermediate layer, which allows me to add detail and texture, without overly brightening the model.