Remember back when Krull intimidated me enough that I put him on a shelf back in September and haven't touched him yet? Angrislaug really, really wanted to do the same thing to me.
I decided to paint Angrislaug in sections. The model is designed to be detached into four parts - a body, two wings, and a tail - and I'm probably going to paint him in those sections.
The buzzed flash of insight I had was to split my color palette to differentiate between Angrislaug's bare hide, and his armored scales. The palette I mixed above was equal parts of red to brown. For the model, I'm going to throw that proportion off: the skintone will be 2:1 red to brown, and the scales will be 2 brown to 1 red. This will do two things: it will set off the scales and allow me to keep them separate (and darker) from the skintone, which will let me emphasize the shine on them, and it will make this model different from Mierce's official model.
The first layer of red is 2 parts of Vallejo Red to 1 part SS camo Black Brown. I mixed 8 drops to 4, and then added two drops of black to make the tint dark. I'm deliberately trying to keep my colors dark here, to fit the aesthetic of the Darklands, and keeping the option open for me to do some cool source-lighting tricks. I'm using browns instead of yellows for the mix color for the same reason: it'll let me do some source lighting in yellow and make it distinct from the colors actually used to paint the model.
The first shade completed. I've also decided that the underbelly is going to be a lighter shade of brown, and I'm intending to use that lighter shade on the wings (hence why the area between the finials is still black).
Feeling less intimidated, I poured myself a pint of Karbach's Sympathy for the Lager, and kept working.
The second shade is 2 parts Vallejo Red to 1 part Beasty Brown. This time I did the 8:4 mix, but added a single drop of black to keep it dark.
A shot of the wings, to show that they're getting painted too! The tail is getting neglected in this layer, but I'll live with that.
A reverse of the second layer. I'm two layers in, and pour myself another pint.
I painted a third layer (using Vallejo bloody Red and Beasty Brown), but finished at about 2 AM, and with quite a buzz going from all the beer. As a result, I forgot to take pictures of the status! I'll start tomorrow's update with those pictures. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Well, as promised, we'll start off with the third layer from yesterday. This one is 2 parts Bloody Red : 1 part Bestial Brown. No black was added, which is why it's so crisp.
A reverse of the third layer. I'm using a Size 2 brush from Games & Gears, and viewing it today realize I was doing a lot of drybrushing, which I try to avoid. We'll see if I can rescue the paint job in the next few layers...
The third layer on the left wing.
Third layer on the right wing. No politics jokes, please.
Here's the fourth layer. I switched to a Games & Gear 0 for this one, but it's still looking a lot more drybrushed than I want, and I feel like I'm losing a lot of detail. I might have to just start over if I can't fix it.
A close-up on the face for the fourth layer. You can see the rough transition strokes from the drybrushing. The fourth layer is 2 parts Bloody Red : 1 part Plague Brown.
The left side, fourth layer.
For the fifth layer I switched over to a Winsor-Newton Series 7, and upped the mix to 2 parts Hot Orange : 1 part Plague Brown.
You can see that the colors are starting to pop out in my typical style.
A reverse view of the fourth layer. The Winsor-Newton brush is giving me more control, but I'm still not satisfied, as you'll see in a second.
Here's a close up (and for some reason poorly exposed) shot of the head. I can see really rough transitions in this layer, and feel like I'm trashing a lot of the detail with this paint job. At 2 AM I quit for the night, thoroughly disheartened.
Once in bed, I laid awake for a while trying to figure out how I'm going to salvage the paint job. For now, I think I'm going to do the last two layers of highlights, and then see if I can run a midtone red glaze to clean up the transitions. If that doesn't work, well, I can always paint over it! We'll see what tomorrow brings!
[Didn't bother cropping these photos. Feel free to lay on the hate!]