Monday, March 7, 2016

Sabretusk/argus

For the last Warhammer Masters, I decided to run a double-Sabretusk list. Since my preferred Sabretusk model, the Thing in the Woods, is prohibitively expensive, I went with something more readily available: An Argus from Privateer Press. I figured the two-headed look matched my warpstone-theme of mutation pretty well, plus I didn't have to drop three figures on it. Check it out after the break!


Greys 

Greys are something I'm getting increasingly comfortable with, and this color blend was just thrown together on the fly. If not otherwise noted, water was added to the paint at a 1:4 ratio to thin it out enough that I could get some of the blending done well.

Grey Layer 1: 1 drop SS Camo Black Brown, 2 Medium Sea Grey, 1 Water

For the underbelly, I wanted an almost-white shade of grey, and I wanted it to be slightly blue to contrast the all-brown the majority of the army used. This precluded my typical go-to grey color (medium grey) but gave me a couple of options on midtone that I wouldn't have usually used. I settled on Medium Sea Grey for its tint, and was pleased with the final result.
Grey Layer 1, left side

Grey Layer 2: 2 drops Medium Sea Grey

The second layer was the pure midtone for this layer, Medium Sea Grey.
Grey Layer 2, right sideGrey Layer 2, left side

Grey Layer 3: 1 drop Medium Sea Grey, 1 drop Wolf Grey

I went into the wolf grey to make the model seem even colder in palette, as it has some great blue undertones.
Grey Layer 3, left side Grey Layer 3, right side

Grey Layer 4: Wolf Grey

All Wolf Grey for this one, as I was painting quickly and didn't want to bother with cutting paint or mixing in appropriate dots of colors.
Grey Layer 4, left side Grey Layer 4, right side

Grey Layer 5: 1 Wolf Grey, 1 Skull White

A typical final layer for me; the final highlight mixed with white
Grey Layer 5, left side Grey Layer 5, right side

Browns

Brown Layer 1: SS Camo Black Brown

SS Camo Black Brown is my go-to color for browns or generic warm-palette darkening of colors, so I started the browns there! Grey Wolves are typically two-toned, with grey/white underneath and a brown top; that's what I was aiming for with this model.
Brown Layer 1, left side Brown Layer 1, right side

Brown Layer 2: 2 SS Camo Black Brown, 1 Medium Grey, 1 Medium Sea Grey

The only difference between the first layer of the grey and this layer is the addition of the Medium Grey; you can see from this how much a single drop of paint can change a color blend!
Brown layer 2, left side Brown layer 2, right side

Brown Layer 3: 2 Medium Grey, 1 Med Sea Grey

At this point I decided I had some cross-resonance between the brown and grey layers, so I pulled a drop of the grey midtone into the brown to balance the colors a bit towards a cooler palette.
Brown layer 3, left side Brown layer 3, right side

Brown Layer 4: 1 Medium Grey, 1 Elf Skin, 1/2 Leather Brown

After the previous layer, I wanted to get back into a warmer tone. Since the Confrontation werewolves had leaned heavily on Leather Brown, I used a hint of it in this wolf to get his color scheme to match theirs a bit - not enough to blend in, but enough to echo the colors in them.
Brown layer 4, left side Brown Layer 4, right side

Browns and greys completed

Rest of the model

For the rest, I just blew through a quick progression on the bone. Since the Werewolves have a lot of reds in them, I went with it for his armor. Since I was a bit bored, I did some lightning effects within the armor just to make it seem a bit more otherworldly. Once the red was done, I did some non-metallic gold to finish the model off. Unfortunately, since I was rapid-firing through layers, I didn't document most of these.
Half done with golds

WiP gold, right head WiP gold, right side

Finished model, left side Finished gold, right side

Finished model, full frontal Finished model, rear aspect

No comments:

Post a Comment