Before the Event
|Tribal Chieftain on a chariot/Gabrax Untain on Gooracx||The Brutox/Mammax Tain!|
|Magnetized... to a desk lamp.|
|The Longhorns, magnetized to a sheet of flashing.|
|Ready for priming||First coat of primer - black - on||Zenithal-primed grey|
Planned Painting Schedule
FridayFor Friday, I resolved to paint the Tribal Chieftain on Chariot. I did some quick math, and decided that to get him to tabletop quality would take 4 hours. I had seven hours budgeted for painting on Friday, so I knew I would get the Chieftain done, and hoped I could get some progress in on the Brutox as well.
Tribal Chieftain on ChariotAlmost immediately, the Zenithal priming started pissing me off. The fur texture on the model was so elaborate that as I started painting the mount's fur, I was having to expend more and more paint to get into the cracks, which were highlighted a light grey from the priming. I knew right away that I'd have to do ink washes to get the darkness in those cracks correct, and was annoyed - I hadn't budgeted time for that!
|Chieftain - mount base coat||Chieftain - bone and fur base coats||Chieftain - Base coats (reverse)|
|Chieftain - Ink washes||Chieftain - Ink Washes (reverse)|
|Chieftain - Fur highlights||Chieftain - Fur Highlights (reverse)|
|Chieftain - Bone/fur highlighted||Chieftain - Bone done (reverse)|
|Chieftain - Done (for now)||Chieftain - done (reverse)|
Brutox - Friday's workWhile I was doing the NMM on the Chieftain, I decided to also knock out the NMM on the Brutox - that way I wouldn't have to spend the time mixing it up a second time today. I then plowed through his fur and skin, which I decided would be two different shades of the same basic colors. I was very pleased with how the two-toned effect went, and decided to do it on the Lycans as well. However, the more I glanced at the Chieftain on his chariot, the more I disliked the green. Fomoraic are supposed to be an ice/sea based army, so I decided to give the Brutox a chance with blue in the morning. By the end of Friday, I had the fur on the Brutox done. I was a bit behind where I wanted to be (I had hoped to get the tusks and claws done), but was not in bad shape.
|Brutox progress Friday night||Reverse of the Brutox, as of the end of Friday|
BrutoxI started Saturday as expected - painting tusks with my son on my lap. Very soon into the process, I realized I was going to have to cut corners a LOT more than expected. The bone took longer than expected, and I had not even finished it by birthday party time.
After naps, I made a few executive decisions - all the wood for the army would be Ironwood, which is great in that it is a nice grey color - the color of the Zenithal primer. In addition, I was going to start cutting my highlights even more, and stop highlighting in my typical mid-tone. This made the process recoverable - rather than coming back and trying to add midtone to a painted model, I can come back later and just add more highlights to get the model back to where I wanted.
Once I'd made those decisions, I was able to knock the Brutox out before my kids woke up from their naps, and was able to get a jump on the Longhorns.
|The "finished" Brutox||The hammer was also ignored to get finished||The tusks came out better than expected.|
Tribal LonghornsThe Longhorns were a hit-the-ground running kind of project; I already knew the colors I was using for them, as I'd already mixed them for the Chieftain. I plowed through the skintone in about two hours. My kids woke up before I was done, and my daughter delighted at taking a few pictures of Daddy doing his painting. Then she wanted to paint, so we cleaned my brushes and made a big mess somewhere else. As part of the corner-cutting, I also dropped two models from this unit, so it would be ten plus the big guy.
|Tribal Longhorns, with the skintone completed|
|The unit, with the bone basecoated, as photographed by a 4 year old||I didn't even know she was taking the shot|
|The unit, with the bone painted|
|Closer shot of the shaman, Gabrox, and a Longhorn with painted bone||The remainder of the unit, bone completed|
|Longhorns with blue contrast colors.||Close-up of one of the models. There was an Aggie joke here about what Aggies do to Longhorns.|
|The chariot character repainted with blue contrasts||The shaman, with blues. Large portions of the model are still unpainted because he wears rhino hide.|
|The Longhorns, with their NMM done for the night.||Another shot of the chariot character with the blues finished|
|Status of the army as of Saturday night|
SundayFor Sunday, I had intended to start work when the kids napped after Wurstfest. Instead, we stayed at Wurstfest until almost 6, and it was 7 by the time I got home. On top of that, I had a big model from the Tribal Longhorns unit to paint. I'd expected the Lycans to take 12 hours, but last night had resigned myself to having to get them done in 9. Instead, I didn't get work started until 8:30, which meant that I only had five hours to churn out a unit I expected to take twice that! I was afraid that the project just wouldn't happened, and started painting resigned to failure. I started with the fur for the Rhinos, using a shade more grey than I had used in the Brutox.
|I must paint you.||The Lycans would use the same grey, but their fur would be less brown than the Brutox's|
|The Lycans after base coats||The Gabrox after base coat. Note the difference in color of the paint in the mixing pot, bottom right.|
|Fur completed. Downhill from here!||Another shot. The Gabrox moves out of the way; he's done at this point.|
|Blues completed.||I had to start wiping out my paint mixers, as all of them had wet paint in them.|
|The rest of the army rebased, just waiting for the last unit. Yes, I used the wrong sized base for the chariot. That's what happens when you use power tools close to midnight.|
|Final unit painted|
|Bit of a tight fit getting them all on there!|
|The "finished" Kings of War army|