Friday, July 3, 2015

Model showcase: Blood-Maw

In this post, I display one of my favorite models of all time, Blood-Maw for the Norse kindred, by Mierce Miniatures. 


It's been a while since I did just a model showcase, mostly because I don't take the time to post them up. 
I painted up Blood-Maw back in February for the Lone Wolf GT, where I used him as a Gorger.
He's on a 40mm base for this, showing that with pinning and enough glue, you can get Mierce stuff on almost anything...

This is the first of Mierce's models that I really fell in love with, and while I've had him for almost four years, I was scared to put paint on him because of the insane level of detail in the sculpt.


The back of Blood-Maw tells an epic story of scars, scrapes, and gnobbly texture. 


You hear about models that practically paint themselves; Blood-Maw was one of those for me. I don't know if it is because of the insane quality of the sculpt, or just because the color scheme played really well into my high-contrast style, but painting this big guy was really easy for me.

Since Blood-Maw is eyeless, he was an easy "Counts-as" Gorger for me. I painted his rocky bits in dark green to make them seem like wyrdstone and intended to use him as a big bad in my Mordheim campaign, but we switched to D&D before I could get him done.

A shot of the mouth. He's even got taste buds and a uvula in there!

Final shot. I don't have a lot of models I fel are "signature pieces" for me, but Blood-Maw is probably the closest I've come.
You should pick one up!

2 comments:

  1. Your work on the mouth interior is extraordinary. Really wish you had done a step-by-step for this one. Also...when you do layering, are you doing multiple layers in the same shades to achieve coverage, or are you counting on subsequent layers to help the transition?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I layer, I rely very heavily on subsequent layers helping the transition. I also tend to start with thicker mixture ratios (4:1 or 5:1 paint to water for base coats, down to 3:1 or 5:2 for the final highlights).
    I did a similar skin treatment on the new Skrag the Slaughterer post; just remove the 1/2 drop of royal purple I used for Skrag and you should get something similar to Blood-Maw.

    ReplyDelete